ENT777: Power System Protection
|School||Cardiff School of Engineering|
|External Subject Code||H630|
|Number of Credits||10|
|Language of Delivery||English|
|Module Leader||Professor Liana Cipcigan|
Outline Description of Module
- To introduce students to the main features of power system protection schemes.
- To equip the students with the ability to apply these schemes to the protection of transmission and distribution networks and plant.
On completion of the module a student should be able to
- Describe the main components and features of the various power system protection schemes
- Understand how to implement this schemes using relays
- Apply electromechanical and numerical relays to the protection of power system components
- Describe the main features and capabilities of modern multi-functional protection equipment
How the module will be delivered
The module will be delivered through a blend of online teaching and learning material, guided study, and on-campus face-to-face classes (tutorials, computer lab sessions).
Skills that will be practised and developed
- Develop comprehensive schemes for the protection of power system equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to make a critical review of various protection systems used on power systems
- Carry out experimental work on a power system simulator and relay test sets.
- Communicate and participate in group activity and discussions in a variety of tasks.
- Demonstrate appropriate level of autonomy in reporting and analysing results.
- Analyse and solve problems in power system protection
- Use computer software to coordinate relaying schemes.
How the module will be assessed
Two-hour written examination (70%)
Computer-based assignment; and
Experimental tasks (30% total)
There is a potential for re-assessment in this module which may result in a 100% written assessment during the August Resit period.
|Exam - Autumn Semester||70||Power System Protection||2|
Major topics will include:
• Instrument transformers
• Protective relays: electromechanical relays, static and numerical relays
• Over-current, distance and differential protection; Unit protection of generators, transformer and busbars
• Overview of wide-area protection concept.
• Protection laboratory and simulations