EN3311: Concrete Materials and Structures
|School||Cardiff School of Engineering|
|External Subject Code||H210|
|Number of Credits||10|
|Language of Delivery||English|
|Module Leader||Dr Viviana Novelli|
Outline Description of Module
- to develop expertise and extend the areas of application of the basic principles and theories underlying reinforced and prestressed concrete design.
- to develop a basic understanding of normal, high strength and fibre-reinforced concretes, including those made with replacement cementitious materials.
On completion of the module a student should be able to
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of the principles underlying limit state design philosophy (including Serviceability) by application to reinforced and prestressed beams, columns and slabs.
- Understand the hydration process and associated thermo-mechanical behaviour
- Explain how the composition and structure of cement replacement materials influence concrete properties.
- Relate the behaviour of high strength and fibre-reinforced concretes to the structure of the material.
- Explain how concrete constituents influence durability and deformation.
How the module will be delivered
The module will be delivered through a blend of online teaching and learning material, guided study, and on-campus face-to-face classes (tutorials, feedback sessions). This is supplemented by further independent work by the students Worked examples are presented and discussed in tutorials which also provide students with further opportunities to develop their problem solving skills and develop their understanding of practical applications.
Skills that will be practised and developed
- Solve engineering problems.
- Design a component to meet a need.
- Evaluate products (HPC) and make improvements.
How the module will be assessed
The module is assessed via a formal 2-hour examination (all questions compulsory) held at the end of the Semester.
There is a potential for re-assessment in this module which may result in a 100% written assessment during the August Resit period.
|Exam - Spring Semester||100||Concrete Materials And Structures||2|
Slab analysis to include the Yield-line Analysis
ServiceabilityLimit State; Cracking and Deflections
Columns, including slender and biaxially loaded cases
Prestressed concrete. Magnel diagrams, ultimate behaviour and losses
Concrete hydration and associated thermo-mechanical behaviour
Cement replacement materials; pfa, ggbs, silica fume
High Performance Concrete including lightweight concrete
Fibre reinforced concrete