CM2105: Data Processing and Visualisation
|School||Cardiff School of Computer Science and Informatics|
|External Subject Code||I150|
|Number of Credits||10|
|Language of Delivery||English|
|Module Leader||null null null|
Outline Description of Module
The aim of this module is to develop skills needed to process information and provide an understanding of statistical methods to analyse the resulting data. The techniques studied will enable data collection from a range of sources, including files and the web. The module will cover Python modules that can easily manipulate and convert information to extract data. Statistics to describe collections of data will be studied, along with basic methods to derive correlations and test simple hypotheses.
On completion of the module a student should be able to
1. Use Python to extract, manipulate, store and analyse information from a range of sources.
2. Understand statistical methods to apply to data
3. Understand static visualisations of data
4. Create static visualisations of data
How the module will be delivered
The module will be delivered through a combination of lectures, supervised lab sessions, example classes and tutorials as appropriate.
Skills that will be practised and developed
Retrieve and manipulate data
Statistical data analysis
Create static visualisations of data
How the module will be assessed
There will be two points of assessment in the module:
(1) Coursework: There will be an individual project that will assess the knowledge and ability to implement techniques of data processing and visualisations (LO1, LO4).
(2) Exam: There will be a 2 hour written exam. The exam will assess the knowledge and understanding of data processing and visualisations (LO2, LO3).
Both assessments will allow the student to demonstrate their knowledge and practical skills and to apply the principles taught in lectures.
The potential for reassessment in this module is a 100% written exam during the summer.
|Written Assessment||50||Individual Project Work||N/A|
|Exam - Autumn Semester||50||Data Processing And Visualisation||2|
Python modules for data processing, for example:
Background Reading and Resource List
Doing Data Science: Straight Talk from the Frontline, Cathy O'Neil and Rachel Schutt (ISBN-10: 1449358659)
Python for Data Analysis, Wes McKinney (ISBN 10: 1449319793)